Don't Fight Terror With Terror

Zena Eisenberg zwe at att.net
Mon Sep 24 18:26:33 UTC 2001

In the United States and around the world, our hearts ache for the more than
five thousand people murdered when hijackers crashed four airplanes,
destroying the World Trade Center and part of the Pentagon. As their friends
and family, and even as strangers, we feel helplessness and rage at this
attack. As New Yorkers, we feel intense gratitude and admiration for the
thousands of volunteers and rescue workers who have come together to aid us
in this time of great sadness. Our spirits are buoyed by the overwhelming
international expression of grief and support.

The terrorists who planned and executed these acts are criminals who must be
brought to justice. To that end, President Bush and Congress are in the
process of launching a war against terrorism and the nations that support
terrorist activity.

But war is no friend of justice.

When an American citizen was identified as a prime suspect in the Oklahoma
City bombing, did we destroy his neighborhood? Of course not. The justice we
pursue abroad should be no different from the justice we seek at home;
civil, NOT military, action must be the center of our response.

We know very well that in any military action, ordinary people suffer
immensely. After 20 years of war and three years of drought, a large part of
Afghanistan's population lacks adequate food, clothing, housing, and medical
care. Many suffer atrocities at the hands of the Taliban. At home we face
the probability of further violence by terrorists who will feel compelled to
respond to our war. Pakistanis face national destabilization. The world
faces potential escalation into international conflict.

Is this how we honor our fallen?

President Bush recently has been prefacing his sentences with, "Make no
mistake...." Indeed, make no mistake. Cooperate as a member of the
international community to try, convict, and punish the criminals
responsible for this and other terrorist acts. But do not answer terror with
terror by inflicting violence upon the guilty and innocent alike. Military
action can only lead to continuing cycles of retribution.

The goal of this letter is to gather the voices of people around the world
behind a common statement arguing that civil action, not war is the
appropriate response to terrorist acts of this nature. Please add your voice
by visiting our website at

http://www.EnoughTragedy.com (or http://208.56.16.80/)

and signing our statement. We will submit the statement along with your
names to President Bush, Vice President Cheney, members of the U.S.
Congress, and other international leaders.