Inquiry: Are Late Talkers Early Walkers (& vice versa)?

John D. Bonvillian jdb5b at j.mail.virginia.edu
Tue Apr 9 14:59:45 UTC 2002

Dear Jussi Niemi,
	This information may not be precisely what you
need, but I have examined the onset of language and motor
milestones in children (hearing and deaf)learning American
Sign Language as their first language from their deaf
parents.  In general, those children who achieved early
language milestones at a younger age were those children
who attained subsequent milestones at a younger age.
Similarly, those children who attained early motor
milestones at a younger age typically were those children
who achieved subsequent motor milestones at a younger age.
There was no discernible relationship between achievement
of motor milestones and attainment of language milestones.
Thus, early language development predicted later language
development and early motor development predicted
subsequent motor development, but motor and language
development were not related.
	If you will send me your address, I will be happy
to send you a copy of this paper.
                          Sincerely,
                          John Bonvillian