Inquiry: Are Late Talkers Early Walkers (& vice versa)?

Elizabeth Bates bates at crl.ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 9 15:46:15 UTC 2002

Back in 1979, our group did a longitudinal study of The Emergence of
Symbols from 9-13 months, and within each age level found no correlation
between major motor milestones and language milestones (positive or
negative).  Note, however, that there is a strong positive correlation
reported in multiple laboratories between the onset of 'hand banging'
and reduplicative babble around 6 months.  and of course various positive
correlations between language and hand gestures later on (in hearing
children).  so there does seem to be a positive link (though complex)
between hand gestures and language milestones, but as far as I know
Eric Lenneberg's predicted links between major motor milestones and
language (we are talking here about crawling, sitting up, walking, etc.)
have not held up.  There are good neuroanatomical reasons for expecting
positive correlations between oral-motor and manual fine-motor
developments but not with trunk movements.  -liz bates