"correct" usage

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Wed Apr 10 11:56:15 UTC 2002

Dear All,

I'm sorry to move this (slightly) away from Aliyah's original
query, but the notion of "correct/incorrect," or can we say
"error"--is doubly a problem when talking about bilingual
child speech.  There *is* a reasonable sense
of something which is NOT part of a given target language,
but it gets really fuzzy because many bilinguals live
in places where there is a contact variety spoken, and
so many elements of their target language(s) are
stigmatized, too.  What is immaturity?  What is
dialect?  What is L2? What is OK!!??

I have tried, never to the point of getting something
near publishable, to sort out some of these questions
for the speech of children 4 to 10, learning two languages
at various degrees of proficiency (and low status).
I generally have tried to make reference to a concept
of Eleanor Ochs' about "expressions which would draw
sanction from the interlocutor" ( because of
their form, not content).  It feels pretty "neutral" and
non-judgmental (that is, it displaces the judgment to
someone else in a conceivably observable behavior),
but of course it's not neutral.

I wonder if Ann Peter's notion of units from the linguist's
view would help here, or not.  On the one hand, there is
a sense of system one can refer to to say that something
doesn't follow it, but so many  "incorrect" forms are at a
level of usage beyond "rules and exceptions."
I have fallen back on a term I don't much like,
"morphosyntactic accuracy," but it has the advantage
that people usually know what you're talking about.

To use Aliyah's example of "incorrect determinerless
nouns," there is a definite sense that a count noun in English
without a determiner sounds like Tarzan-speak (or just
L2).  *"Leg go(es) here."  But in a language that lets
people move words back and forth across the count/mass
line, we could all make a context for "leg" as in the kind
of thing Victorian ladies didn't show.  The detective
novel I'm reading just now said, "My eyes were full of gun."

One of my favorite "morpho- or syntactically inaccurate" forms
was in the frog story, where the "boy got hopped onto
a deer."

What would *you* call it?

Barbara