"correct" usage

Ann Peters ann at hawaii.edu
Tue Apr 9 20:58:09 UTC 2002

Dear Aliyah,
This is an issue that has bothered me ever since I started working in the
area of language acquisition! I'm glad it bothers you, too.
One place where I have attempted to come to grips with the problem of the
"adult view" vs. the "child's view" was in my 1983 monograph, The Units of
Language Acquisition (Cambridge Press). In the first chapter I try to
disentangle "Units From The Adult's Point Of View", "Units From The
Child's Point Of View", and "Units From The Linguist's Point Of View".
Unfortunately this book has been out of print for a while, but I did make
sure to retrieve the copyright from CUP and if you are interested and
can't find it I can send you an electronic copy.
Ann Peters

Dr. Ann M. Peters, Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Hawai`i               email: ann at hawaii.edu
1890 East West Road, Rm 569         phone: 808 956-3241
Honolulu, HI  96822                 fax:   808 956-9166
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ann/