SUMMARY RE DRAWING SOFTWARE

Jeannette Schaeffer jschaef at bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Tue Aug 27 07:39:30 UTC 2002

Dear Info-CHILDES subscribers,

Thanks for all your reactions! Below I compiled them, so that more people can benefit. For clarity, I copy-pasted my own message before the answers.

Dear Info-CHILDES subscribers,

I am looking for a good and user-friendly drawing program for the PC to create pictures for experiments with children between 1;6 and 6 years old.
Does any of you have a recommendation and an idea of the price?

Thanks,
Jeannette Schaeffer

Teresa Guasti:
an alternative idea. Why don't you take pictures of objects arranged as you want with a Digital camera, then you put them on a computer and print these pictures with a color print? You do not need to make any effort for drawing pictures.

Karen Froud:
I'm afraid we didn't manage to find a nice easy
software package to generate our images. We dowloaded
things from the web and then adjusted them as
necessary using a combination of photoshop and
microsoft paint. All our items then got turned into
pictures inside word documents. I'm sure there must be
a more efficient way of going about it, but this was
the best we could come up with in the time - and it
seems to have worked pretty well. Sorry not to be more
help.

Carol Slater:
I'm not sure what you want to do, but you might want to look into Walter
Beagley's EYELINES, which has PC and Mac versions. It allows you not
only to capture a drawing but also to collect data on the sequence and
timing of its constituents and interfaces nicely with statistical
programs.
For information, contact beagley at alma.edu.
Good luck.

Keith Nelson:
Kid Pix costs around $40 and is very user friendly.  You
might try it and see if it produces pictures in a format that will
work in your experiments.

Ioulia Kovelman:
You can try MSpaint, Coreldraw or AdobePhotoshop.

I'd say one of the most popular and commonly used drawing programs
in the U.S. is Adobe Illustrator.  If you have familiarity with other
Adobe graphics programs (such as Photoshop), the interface is similar, so
it won't be too difficult even for a first-time user to navigate within
the program.  If you have no experience using any of the Adobe programs,
you'll have some learning to do before getting comfortable with the
program (just as any other programs), in which case I'd recommend "Adobe
Illustrator Classroom in a Book" as a tutorial to cover the basics (the
book comes with a CD-ROM containing 16 lessons).
As for the price, if you are eligible for the "Educational
Version" (which I believe you are), it'll be about $300 or less.  You can
get more information about the product at www.adobe.com.

Hope this helps.

Tomoko Asano

Jeannette Schaeffer, Ph.D.
Department of Foreign Literatures and Linguistics
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
P.O. Box 653
Be'er Sheva 84105
ISRAEL