Past tense in L2 acquisition

Alex Housen ahousen at vub.ac.be
Mon Jan 7 15:39:42 UTC 2002

General overviews of the development of past and other verb tenses in
L2 acquisition can be found in:

Andersen, R. & Shirai, Y. 1996. "The primacy of aspect in first and
second language acquisition: The pidgin-creole connection". In
Handbook of Second Language Acquisition, W. Ritchie & T. Bhatia,
527-570. London, Academic Press.
Bardovi-Harlig, K. (1999)." From morpheme studies to temporal
semantics: Tense-aspect research in SLA:  The state of the art".
Studies in Second-Language Acquisition, 21.
Bardovi-Harlig, K. (2000). Tense and Aspect in Second Language
Acquisition: Form, Meaning, and Use. Oxford: Blackwell.

Recent publications (including some of my own) dealing with the L2
acquisition of past tense in English in a school context include:

Salaberry, R. (2000). "The acquisition of English Past tense in an
instructional setting: Irregular and frequent morphology". System,
28(1), 135-152.
Housen, A.  (1998) "Le processus de grammaticalisation dans le
domaine de la temporalité et le développement de l'interlangue",
Travaux de Linguistique, 36, pp. 209-222.
Housen, A.  (2000) "Verb semantics and the acquisition of
Tense-Aspect Morphology in English", Studia Linguistica, 54, 2,
249-259.
Housen, A.  (2002). "A corpus-based study of the L2-acquisition of
the English verb system", in Computer Learner Corpora, Second
Language Acquisition and Foreign Language Learning, S. Granger, J.
Hung & S. Petch-Tyson (eds). London: John Benjamins.

Best wishes,

Alex Housen

>Dear all
>One of my students is interested in the learning of the past tense in
>English as second language (by French learners). One of her goals is to
>consider the effect of the school learning of the rule on the patterns of
>regularization. She has tried to get some references
>but she only managed to obtain the papers related to the acquisition of the
>past tense in English as first language.
>Please, do you know some references about the learning of past tense *in
>second language acquisition* ?
>Thanks for your help.
>Jean-Pierre Chevrot
>
>Jean-Pierre Chevrot, Université Stendhal-Grenoble 3, BP 25, 38 240
>Grenoble Cedex, France.

Alex HOUSEN

Germanic Languages Dept. &  Centre for Linguistics
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2, B-1050 Brussel, Belgium
Tel: +32-(0)2-629.38.84