productivity continued

Alcock, Katie k.j.alcock at city.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 06:36:57 UTC 2002

I accidentally pressed "send" instead of "save" on the last one... sorry
about that... there was more and here it is.

Some people thought that using a) PLUS b) might work, rather than one or the
other.

It was also pointed out that other types of errors (including but not
limited to omissions, so I'm assuming things like using past tense when it
is not the appropriate tense, rather than on a verb that doesn't take the
past tense?) might reveal productivity.

Liz Bates' message did go to the whole list but I'll just summarise: in one
of the few studies to compare different types of measures they found that
number of uses of a construction were not particularly valid i.e. didn't
correlate with other language measures, especially for small speech samples
from each child, but qualitatitive (over-regularisations or uses of the same
word in more than one form) were more valid.

Finally a couple of people have said "in small samples like yours...".  I
know we don't have very many children and it is only a pilot study but it
feels quite large already!  How large is large?

Katie Alcock