Phonology of Hearing Impaired children

Silliman, Elaine silliman at chuma1.cas.usf.edu
Mon Jun 3 22:29:07 UTC 2002

The journal, Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools (LSHSS) will
have a Forum coming up in its next issue (July 2002) entitled Children with
Cochlear Implants: Challenges in Optimizing Oral Communication. The
following articles will appear in that issue:
1)	AN INTRODUCTION TO COCHLEAR IMPLANT TECHNOLOGY, ACTIVATION, AND
PROGRAMMING (Moore & Teagle)
2)	SCHOOL-BASED SERVICES FOR CHILDREN WHO RECEIVE COCHLEAR IMPLANTS
(Teagle & Moore)
3)	EFFECTS OF EDUCATIONAL CHOICES ON SPEECH AND LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT OF
CHILDREN IMPLANTED BEFORE AGE FIVE (Geers)
4)	VOCAL DEVELOPMENT IN YOUNG CHILDREN WITH COCHLEAR IMPLANTS: PROFILES
AND IMPLICATIONS FOR 	INTERVENTION (Ertmer et al.)
5)	INTRODUCING YOUNG CHILDREN WHO ARE DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING TO
SPOKEN LANGUAGE:  CHILD'S VOICE, AN ORAL SCHOOL (Wilkins & Ertmer)
6)	COMMUNICATION INTERVENTION FOR CHILDREN WITH COCHLEAR IMPLANTS: TWO
CASE STUDIES (Ertmer, 	Leonard, & Pachuilo).

Also, LSHSS has also just published two Clinical Forums on Advances in
Phonology in Optimality Theory . There is one article in particular that may
be of interest and it is by Stephen Chin entitled "Aspects of stop consonant
production by pediatric users of cochlear implants" (LSHSS, Vol. 33(1)). In
addition, there is a paper by Margaret Kehoe (LSHSS, Vol. 32 (4)) about
assessing prosody entitled, "Prosodic Patterns in Children's Multisyllabic
Word Productions".
For further information on this July 2002 Forum or related articles, contact
the Editor, Ruth Huntley Bahr, at: lshss at chuma1.cas.usf.edu

Elaine Silliman

Elaine R. Silliman, Ph.D.
Professor
Communication Sciences and Disorders and
Cognitive and Neural Sciences
University of South Florida
PCD 4021C
Tampa, FL 33620