French not a great verb-framed language....

Elena Nicoladis elenan at ualberta.ca
Thu May 30 16:06:25 UTC 2002

I'm trying to track down references for two rumours about French that I
haven't been able to back up with data. If anyone has any clues as to
studies that would back up the following points, I would appreciate it:

1) French is less verb-framed than other verb-framed languages like Spanish
or Italian.

2) Romance languages in historical contact with satellite-framed languages
tend to lose their properties of verb-framedness (as in the Italian spoken
in northern Italy near Austria).
Elena Nicoladis, PhD
University of Alberta
Department of Psychology
P-217 Biological Sciences Building
Edmonton AB
T6G 2E9
CANADA
Phone: (780) 492-0124
Fax: (780) 492-1768
http://www.ualberta.ca/~elenan/

"Doubt is an uncomfortable condition, but certainty is a ridiculous one."
-Voltaire