Question to the community

Kathryn J. Kohnert kohne005 at umn.edu
Wed Nov 6 00:58:06 UTC 2002

Good evening,
A couple of other studies which serve to further temper static notions of
language balance and dominance in developing bilinguals (in this case,
young second language learners) are provided below. It seems that what's
dominant varies as a question of what's measured (e.g., receptive vs.
expressive skills; processing efficiency vs. overall knowledge etc) as a
function of language and cognitive experience as well as individual
differences. Language dominance, like language proficiency, is very dynamic
in these young L2 learners, and the clinical utility of identifying a
dominant language at a certain point in time is unclear. Dominance is also
a relative notion--- using a within-child comparison--- so getting back to
the very interesting original post to the list, I feel that the critical
question underlying the method  for establishing dominance is the
rationale/motivation for doing so in a given population.
Kohnert, K. & Bates, E. (2002). Balancing Bilinguals II: Lexical
Comprehension and Cognitive Processing in Children Learning Spanish and
English. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 45, 347  359.

Kohnert, K. (2002). Picture Naming in Early Sequential Bilinguals: A 1-Year
Follow-up. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 45, 759  771.
            Kohnert, K. J., Hernandez, A. E., & Bates, E. (1998). Bilingual
performance on the Boston Naming Test: Preliminary      norms in Spanish
and English. Brain and Language, 65, 422-440.
In addition to the studies cited above, Pui Fong Kan, as part of her
graduate research at the UMN, has done work looking at preschoolers
learning a second language (Hmong-English bilinguals). Her lexical
production study was presented at SRCLD/IASCL,Madison WI (2002) [Kan &
Kohnert], and her receptive studies will be presented at ASHA in Nov 2002
in Atlanta (Kan & Kohnert).

Take care,
Kathryn