more on babies' preferences

Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 6 16:55:49 UTC 2002

Here are a few more responses I received to the question below, since
some of you have asked me to post them.

From: Roberta <roberta at UDel.Edu>
Subject: Re: Feedback on faces

I'm a little late here Annette but Mike Lewis had a paper in Child
Devel years ago about how babies love to look at live children over
live adults. He even used midgets as I recall to separate the stature
from the facial features. Wish I had the exact site but I don't alas.
Maybe Michael has a web site with his vita.
All best,
Roberta

From: Alan Slater <A.M.Slater at exeter.ac.uk>
Annette,
To add to your collection:
Singh, L., Morgan, J.L. & Best, C.T. (2002).  Infants'
listening preferences: baby talk or happy talk.  Infancy,
vol 3(issue 3), 365-394.  They give experimental evidence
that the preference for baby talk (BT) over adult-directed
(AD) speech is actually a preference for the more positive
affect that usually accompanies BT.  When the affect is
reversed there's then a preference for AD.
Hope this helps!
Alan

From: Sarah Fletcher <slflet at liverpool.ac.uk>
Annette
I can tell you that, in adults, female faces may be preferred as
attractive due to facial neoteny. This has been a suggested sexually
selected trait. However, perhaps babies/infants may prefer neotenous
faces aswell, therefore preferring female to male? I don't however
think there is a reference for work with infants on this.
Sarah Fletcher
Research Assistant (Language and Literacy Development)
Department of Psychology
The University of Liverpool
Room 240 Eleanor Rathbone Building
Bedford Street South