Question on adult bilinguals and codeswitching

eva eppler uclyeme at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 17:53:19 UTC 2002

same for German, Maria.
I.e. borrowed nouns most frequently get assigned a grammatical gender and
in the vast majority of cases it seems to be the gender of the closest
translation equivalent.
I am working on this systematically at the moment. Results might take
another 6 months.

just two examples - (I deliberately chose examples where the translation
equivalents are very similar)

English accent is German der Akzent (masculine)
in the following example the accent is the direct object and therefore we
get the accusative and masculine on the determiner
*DOR:   and at 2 (1)alle at 4 haben at 4 wir at 4 so at 4 einen at 4 (1)accent at 2 # 0als at 4
         moechten at 4 wir at 4 gerade at 4 von at 4 Oesterreich at 4 gekommen at 4 sein at 4 .

English mentality, German die Mentalitaet f. ==> accusative femine die
*DOR:   you at 2 know at 2,, (1)wir at 4 haben at 4 die at 4 selbe at 4 # ahm at u nicht at 4 nur at 4
         die at 4 sprache at 4 die at 4 selbe at 4 (1)mentality at 2 .

But if you would like to have a look yourself, check out
the German-English data on http://talkbank.org/data/LIDES/

Eva Eppler