The relationship of L1 and L2 skills in Spanish/English bilingual children.

Toppelberg Claudio Claudio_Toppelberg at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 20 18:06:33 UTC 2002

Dear friends-

Three questions related to the relationship of L1 and L2 skills in normally
developing Spanish/English bilingual children have emerged in our team
discussions:

1. There seems to be a consensus among child language researchers that there
is a moderate to high correlation between L1 and L2 skills in
Spanish/English bilingual children on several domains (although skill levels
are often uneven, as Annick De Hower presented at the 2002 IASCL/SRCLD).

Q: Would readers agree on this?

2. If so, I have been unable to locate references that quantify the
magnitude of the expected correlations, both for general language competence
and various specific domains.

Q: Could the readers suggest any references?

3. One might assume that moderate/high correlations would be a
cross-sectional indicator of L1 skills' facilitating role in L2
acquisition --i.e., L1 skills predict L2 skills, which results from
beneficial cross-linguistic influence or transfer. This facilitating role
would occur both in terms of rate of L2 acquisition and final stage of L2
proficiency.

Q: Could the readers suggest empirical literature that supports the view of
L1 skills supporting SLA?

These questions are very relevant to our research on L1/L2 associations in
bilingual children with psychopathology and we would really thank your
input!

Best wishes,

Claudio O. Toppelberg, MD
Director, Project on Language and Child Psychiatry
Judge Baker Children's Center, Harvard Medical School
3 Blackfan Circle
Boston, Massachusetts 02115-5794
e-mail:              topi at hms.harvard.edu
Phone:              (617) 232 8390 ext.2622
Fax:                  (617) 232 8390 ext.2621
Alternative Fax:  (617) 232 8399

Click to view:

Harvard Research: Child Language Development & Developmental Psychopathology
<http://134.174.17.116/psych/redbook/86.htm>

Judge Baker Children's Center/ Children's Hospital Academic Teaching
Conference <http://www.jbcc.harvard.edu/lectures.htm>

2002 Risk and Resilience Conference <http://www.riskandresilience.org/>