imagination & talk

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 19:20:19 UTC 2002

You may be interested in the following:

Carol Fox: At the Very Edge of the Forest; Cassell, 1993

Vivian Gussin Paley: Wally's Stories; Harvard University Press, 1981

Vivian Gussin Paley: Bad Guys Don't Have Birthdays: Fantasy Play at
Four; University of Chicago Press, 1988

C. Peterson and A. McCabe: Developmental Psycholinguistics: Three Ways of
Looking at a Child's Narrative; Plenum Press, 1983

C. Peterson and A. McCabe: Parental styles of narrative elicitation:
effect on children's narrative structure and content. First Language,
1992, 12, 299-321.

Brian Sutton-Smith: The Folkstories of Children; University of
Pennsylvania Press, 1980

and a few of the papers in the 1998 special issue of Cahiers de
Psychologie/ Current Psychology of Cognition (CPC) dedicated to "Language
play in children"; e.g.

C. Fox: Serious play: the relationship between children's oral invented
stories and their learning. CPC, 1998, 17(2), 211-228

T. Musatti, E. Veneziano and S. Mayer: Contributions of language to early
pretend play. CPC, 1998, 17(2), 155-184

and especially:

A. McCabe: At Nicky's house: developing imagination to deal with
reality. CPC, 1998, 17(2), 229-244.

Some of Howard Gardner's and Ellen Winner's work on early metaphor and
imagination may also be relevant.

It's probably too far from your student's area, but a lot of my own work
has looked at children's play with language, and especially at the
phonological and syntactic devices used in their 'poems'.

Ann