Coding grammatical errors in language samples

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at ohiou.edu
Wed Sep 4 15:45:48 UTC 2002

These are increasingly common usages in American English, and not simply in
"nonstandard" vernaculars.  We sociolinguists consider these to be evolving
toward general acceptance.  The only form you cite that's perhaps still
limited to Midland or Appalachian dialects is zero -ly on adverbs, but it's
likely spreading also.  These are vernacular "errors," then, but I'd
quibble with the use of the term "error."  If by "genuine" you mean
developmental, I wouldn't put them into that category.

Beverly Olson Flanigan
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Ohio University
Athens, OH  45701