films

George Hunt georgehu at education.ed.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 17:14:42 UTC 2002

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, directed by Werner Hertzog, Germany 1975. As
well as exploring Jeanie-type language deprivation, social and emotional
factors, and issues of language and cognition, this is a beautiful and
moving film in its own right as well.

See also some of the dialogues in the British comedy series the Two
Ronnies, particularly the spoof on segmentation and polysemy which begins
with a customer walking into a hardware store and seeming to ask for 'four
candles'. A bit of light relief for your students after the Hertzog.

DaleP at health.missouri.edu writes:
>A couple of years ago I posted a notice asking for suggestions for
>fiction which had language as a focus, and I received many suggestions.
>As a followup, I'd like to recommend very highly Mary Doria Russell's The
>Sparrow, a science fiction novel in which language learning plays an
>important role. It's also quite fascinating as a meditation on culture
>contact and miscommunication, and on the nature of faith. The author is a
>Ph.D. anthropologist.
>
>My request this time is for film which has language as a focus. The two
>which come mind immediately are My Fair Lady, and Nell. Are there any
>others? I have a hazy memory of some bits in Monty Python movies, for
>example. The treatment of language can be done well or badly; I'm
>interested in film as a discussion starter.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help, and I'll post a summary.
>
>Philip S. Dale, Professor and Chair
>Dept of Communication Science & Disorders
>303 Lewis Hall
>University of Missouri-Columbia
>Columbia, MO 65211
>tel:   573-882-1934