films etc

Carol Anne Miller cam47 at psu.edu
Thu Sep 5 20:20:44 UTC 2002

Like Audrey, I try to incorporate novels and films into my language
courses, although I haven't yet gone so far as to structure an entire
course in this way (what a great idea!).  I use them mainly to jumpstart
student's thinking about issues, and to highlight the real-life relevance
of concepts learned in the classroom.

I use My Fair Lady--not the whole thing, but the first half hour or so,
with the "Why Can't the English" number, and Eliza's request for Higgins to
teach her how to "talk like a lady."

Alice in Wonderland is all about language...as I learned from Lila
Gleitman, who used it as a supplementary text in Psychology of
Language.  Students will probably need some guidance in discovering the
language issues.  I use the chapter about the Queen's croquet game as a way
of discussing classical vs. prototype theory.  Again, this is totally
stolen from Lila.

I use an excerpt from Tarzan of the Apes, where the young Tarzan teaches
himself to read from materials found in his dead parents' cabin, to talk
about literacy.

I have in the past used an excerpt from one of the later Anne of Green
Gables books which has a reflection on motherese.

Along with the film The Miracle Worker, Helen Keller's memoirs can be a
good learning tool.  I can't remember the title just now.

I really appreciate all the suggestions people are making.  I know I'm
straying somewhat from the original question about films, but I hope I'm
keeping the spirit of the thing.
Carol

Carol Miller, Ph.D.
Dept. of Communication Sciences & Disorders
Penn State University
115-B Moore Building
(814) 865-6213
cam47 at psu.edu