CLAN on UNIX

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Sep 9 22:22:00 UTC 2002

On 9/9/02 12:51 PM, "SA Blackwell" <blackwsa at sun7.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi all, I'm new to this list.
>
> Please could someone tell me how to install the CLAN
> software to run under UNIX?  I have downloaded the
> Unix version, unZIPped it and TARred it - I now have
> lots of files but none of them appears to be executable.
> Do I have to run a C++ compiler over everything?

Dear Sue,
  Yes, when you get programs for Unix machines, you almost invariably have
to compile them yourself.  This is because there are dozens of versions of
Unix, Linux, Free BSD and the like.  Worse still, the compilation for a
given machine often requires special magic that people familiar with that
machine have to know.  So, if you are not a Unix hacker, you will have to
learn how to use the compiler and perhaps even how to modify settings in the
makefile to get CLAN to compile.
  If you are not a Unix hacker, and if the "make" command doesn't just
magically work right away on your machine, you will need to find a Unix
hacker.  Otherwise, you might try a Mac or Windows.

--Brian MacWhinney