Browsable Corpus

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Dec 4 04:44:19 UTC 2003

Dear Info-CHILDES,
  I would like to call your attention to a new facility that we have
developed at the CHILDES and TalkBank web sites over the last month.  This
is the facility of being able to directly play audio and video from
transcripts over the web.  For CHILDES materials, the best ways to access
data in this new format is from

http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/data/audlinked/index2.html

and

http://xml.talkbank.org:8888/talkbank/file/childes/video/

The first link is for CHILDES data linked to audio.  The second is for
CHILDES transcripts linked to video.  For TalkBank data, not everything is
linked yet from this URL, but a lot is:

http://xml.talkbank.org:8888/talkbank/file/talkbank/

Right now, you can only play one utterance at a time by clicking on the
speaker ID where you see a blue-underlined link.  Soon we hope to implement
continuous playback too and then other features, including a new blog-type
commentary facility.

You need a modern browser and QuickTime 5 or 6 for this to work.  I would
love to hear comments about this facility, including problems with getting
it to work.

--Brian MacWhinney, CMU