elision

Professor Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Sun Feb 2 07:57:20 UTC 2003

you might find that they go from j'entends to je entends and back to
j'entends - though I've never heard a child use je entends.
I haven't studied this aspect of French but from my daughters I had
many examples like the following where it seems that the liaison
gives you a clue to what is going on:

one age:  c'est-a moi  and c'est pas-a moi (with liaison "t" and "s"
in second example)

later:  c'est-a moi and c'est pa t-a moi  (where the negative has
really been added rather than a ready made phrase)

later - back to correct

just an anecdote but interesting
Annette K-S