elision

Isabelle Barriere barriere at vonneumann.cog.jhu.edu
Sun Feb 2 03:37:43 UTC 2003

Dear Christina,

A few remarks regarding your question and hopefully, some relevant references:

1.  The way you ask your question seems to assume that the child analyses
"j(e)" and "entends" as two linguistic units.  However, from the point of
view of the child they hear "jentends" and the first question to ask is the
issue of the segmentation.  As far as I am aware there is no study which
deals with this on the acquisition of French.

2.  This issue is of particular interest to 2 colleagues, Geraldine
Legendre and Thierry Nazzi,  and myself: we have carried out a Preferential
paradigm study on children's ability to treat the subject clitic as an
agreement marker.  We have collected the data but haven't finished
analysing it.  Contact me about this in about three months or so.

3.  I have carefully looked at SE cliticization for my PhD and used the
misuse of the allomorph "se' in *il se ouvre" as opposed to "il s'ouvre" as
a criterion of SE-productivity (following Allen, 1996, I assume that this
constitutes strong evidence of productivity of a morpheme): there is one
example of such a misuse mentioned ion Pierce , 1992 and in my data
analysis of CHILDES French corpora (Leveille and Champaud) ana very large
cross-sectional corpus of speech samples produced by 2 to 4 yeard olds
(about 15 to 20 samples per age group: 2, 2;3, 2;6, Le Nornad, 1986 corpus)
there is a maximum of 3 such instances.

4.  I am not sure your questions only concerns elision between subject+
verb , but if it concerns this phenomenon in general- or rather the
pheonomenon of 'Liasion'- , then there is some work done by Chevrot and
Fayol (1999)  and Wauquiers Gravelines (2002) (see full references
below).  Chevrot and Fayol (1999) conclude from their study on the
production of liaisons between determiners and real and nonce words that
between 2 and 3 the /z/ which occur between the determiner and the nouns as
in /lezaviõ/ (the planes) do not constitute a plural morpheme.  Although
Wauquiers-Gravelines (2002) presents a slightly different account of the
acquisition of the liaison in that she rejects a lexically-based learning
process, she also concludes that until about 2, the determiners and the
nouns which involve a liaison are not treated as separate linguistic units.
I have had e-mail convesrations with Wauquiers-Gravelines whose work is
based on 2 methodological proecedures: experimental data as well as
analysis of speech corpora and she says she has not come across unadultlike
forms such as " *je zarive" (which would come frome "i(l)zariv") (informal
query), or "*il jariv" which would come from misegmentation based on
"jariv".  Sophie Wauquier's e-mail is: wauquiers at wanadoo.fr.  I have also
asked Cecile De Cat, re the occurrences of such formns in the York Corpus
and it seems that if they exist they are very rare (informal query).  I
can't find her e-mail right now, but you can find it on the web page of the
York Linguistic department.

Chevrot & Fayol (2001) Acquisition of french Liaison and related child
errors. In M.
Almgen, A. Barrenam M.J. Ezeizabarrena, I. Idziabal, B. MacWhinney (eds)
Proceedings of the 8th conference of the IASCL, San Sebastianm 1999, 760-774.
Pierce, A. (1992) Language acquisition and syntactic theory: a comparative
analysis of
French and English child grammars. Kluwer: Dordrecht.

Wauquier-Gravelines (2002)  Realisms of constraints in the acquisition of
liaisin in French.  Communication orale, NaPhC, Avril, Montréal.+_ aother
publications, the list of which you may obtain by contacting her.

It is great to know that fellow researchers are interested in this phenomenon!

With best wishes,

Isabelle Barriere
Department of Cognitive Science
Johns Hopkins University