research project

Jean Berko Gleason gleason at bu.edu
Tue Feb 11 05:28:07 UTC 2003

Deborah Wells wrote:

> > I am an undergraduate student at SDSU.  I am doing a research project
> concerning how  three-year-old children use language with different
> conversation partners.  For example, do children use different
> strategies when they speak to their peers verses their fathers?  I have
> not been able to find any articles related to this.  If you know of any
> articles, could you please let me know what the titles are and where I
> could find them?

Here are some relevant articles from a while back. They all include some
information on children's varying their speech, depending on the person
they are talking to.

Gleason, J. Berko. (1973). Code Switching in Children's Language. In T.
Moore (Ed.), 	Cognitive Development and the Acquisition of Language. New
York Academic Press, 169-167.

Shatz,M. and Gelman,R. (1973).  "The development of communication
skills: Modifications in the speech of young children as a function of
listener." Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development
38 (5, Serial No. 152) (1973).

Weeks,T. (1971). Speech registers in young children. Child Development
42(2)  1119-1131.

Not sure this is the one I have in mind:

Camaioni,L., "The problem of appropriateness in pragmatic development,"
in Possibilities and limitations of pragmatics, edited by Herman Parret
(Amsterdam: Benjamins, 1981), 79-92.

jean berko gleason