Books for the lay person on child development

Alcock, Katie k.j.alcock at city.ac.uk
Wed Jun 4 09:49:17 UTC 2003

My brother and his wife, an ecologist and a university adminstrator, are
expecting their first baby - and I get asked this question by educated and
intelligent parents of infants who come into our lab.  What is a good book
on child development, especially infant development, for the lay person? I'm
particularly looking for one that is well balanced and steers clear of, or
at least balances out, the "baby as mini-scientist who knows oh-so-much
about the world" but also the "it's essential you expose your child to
Mozart in the womb" ends of the spectrum.

Thanks

Katie Alcock

Katie Alcock, DPhil
Lecturer