Gesture in Italian Speakers

MONTES MIRO ROSA GRACIELA rmontes at siu.buap.mx
Sat Jun 14 13:46:29 UTC 2003

Hi,

This is not directly what you are looking for but Adam Kendon has looked at
gesture in adult Italian speakers. Here's one reference but there are
others:

"Gestures as illocutionary and discourse structure markers in Southern
Italian conversation." In Journal of Pragmatics 23(3):247-279

Also some people to contact might be Virginia Volterra who has studied
Italian sign language (Volterra, Virginia, ed. (1987). La Lingua Italiana
dei Segni: La comunicazione visivo-gestuale dei sordi. Bologna: Il Mulino.

and Isabella Poggi who does work on gesture in conversation and produced the
Italian "gestionary". They may know of current work with Italian children,
or something closer to what you are looking for.

Hope this helps,
Rosa Montes, UAP (Mexico)

Tracie Dickson escribió:

> Hello,
>
> We are looking for studies that examine communicative gesture development in young children who are blind and native Italian speakers.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thank you.
>
> Tracie Dickson
> Marie Celeste

Dra. Rosa Graciela Montes Miró
Directora de Investigación
Vicerrectoría de Investigación y Estudios de Posgrado,
Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla