Gesture in Italian Speakers

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 14 17:53:01 UTC 2003

I don't know of any work specifically on Italian blind children,
but the following papers deal with communicative gesture in blind
people:

Frame, M.J. (2000). The relationship between visual impairment and
gestures. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 94, 155-171

Iverson, J.M. (1999). How to get to the cafeteria: gesture and
speech in blind children's spatial descriptions. Developmental
Psychology, 35, 1132-1142

Iverson, J.M. and Goldin-Meadow, S. (1997). What's communication got
to do with it?: gesture in children blind from birth. Developmental
Psychology, 33, 453-467

Iverson, J.M. and Goldin-Meadow, S. (2001). The resilience of gesture
in talk: gesture in blind speakers and listeners. Developmental
Science, 4, 416-422

Sharkey, W.F. et al (2000). Hand gestures of visually impaired and
sighted people. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 94, 549-563

Ann