Questions about recording

David Zarazua zarazua at usc.edu
Fri May 9 03:20:55 UTC 2003

Hi everyone:

	I am planning to conduct some recordings in my house and I have a few
questions in relation to microphones and recording techniques. Any kind of
advice in any of the following topics will be welcomed. The questions are:

	1) Has anyone tried to connect a microphone into a PC and record directly
into a PC instead of using a tape recorder or a MiniDisc? Can I obtain in a
PC a recording quality similar to that obtained with a MiniDisc? I am using
a fairly fast computer (1.6 GHz, 512 RAM, and SoundMAX Digital Audio mixer).

	2) Has anyone used one of the following microphones from Sony: a) One-Point
Stereo Microphone ECM-719; b) One-Point Stereo Microphone ECM-MS907 ; or c)
Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone ECM-DS70P? What results have you
obtained? Any recommendations on microphones from other brands?
	3) What about wireless microphones? How does their recording quality
compares with the wired microphones mentioned above?
	The ultimate thing I imagine doing is to use a wireless mic to record
directly into the computer. By doing this I would be able to record all
around the house without worrying about wires; I would also save time by not
having to first record in a portable device and then digitize the
recordings; finally, I would have to worry about the length of tapes or
discs. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

David Zarazúa
Ph.D. Candidate (A.B.D)
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
University of Southern California