Questions about recording

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat May 10 03:25:19 UTC 2003

David,
  Yes, my students here at CMU have now taken to using their laptops as tape
recorders.  It works fine.  The major concern is fan noise, but with
laptops, this is minimal.  With desktop machines, it is a serious concern,
but using wireless would get around this.  Good wireless mike-receiver
systems can give excellent results.  I would say that the idea of combining
wireless with direct-to-disk recording in your own home is a good one.  Make
sure you have a large hard drive on your machine.

--Brian MacWhinney