videorecorders - info summary

Barbara Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Fri Nov 7 16:01:39 UTC 2003

Dear Edy,

I'll just add a second to your report.

We bought a Sony digital 8 camcorder  2 years ago.
It was less expensive and our needs are fairly limited.
There have been 2 problems: the eject mechanism was
taxed by our playing tapes back through the camera
and it had to be fixed (by the dealer at fairly great
inconvenience); and the tripod attachment
is where the tape gets changed.  You have to really
practice to be able to dismount the camera from the
tripod, change the tape, and remount it, without
losing too much of the event you're taping.

On the other hand, the output medium is convenient.
We had a professional photographer recording
at the same time onto mini-DVs.  We couldn't figure out a
way to even view their tapes without a huge investment,
so we had them put them on VHS.

I just mention them because these were things one needs
to think about in advance, and no one reminded us to.

Good luck,
Barbara

Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph. D.
Project Manager, Research Assistant