yet another video opinion

Gedeon Deák deak at Cogsci.ucsd.edu
Fri Nov 7 17:55:34 UTC 2003

As someone who has used VHS, Hi-8, VHS-C, and DV for detailed
behavioral coding, let me second Barbara's comments that for many
purposes, one probably would not want to gear up towards using 8 mm, or
for that matter anything but either VHS or DV. VHS is a good option for
budget projects in which low resolution (both video and audio) is no
problem. Mini-DV is the best way to go if you have a bit more money and
need detailed analyses (e.g., exact 1/30 sec sampling rate).

We went with Canon DV cameras because they have better optics than some
other manufacturers, and are not significantly more expensive. We got
GL-1s for less-controlled environments (e.g., naturalistic
observational data), because they have excellent low-light performance,
excellent optics (3 CCL) and very good digital image processing. The
GL-1 is no longer produced (you might luck into finding a refurbished
unit at a Web-based discounter), but the new GL-2 looks comparable (on
the Canon website). I found it for about $1700 in a quick web search,
but a bit more searching & bargaining might shave 100-200 off of that.
Note, however, that the GL line is considered "pro-sumer"--i.e., almost
professional-quality.

For a less-expensive option, the Optura line has pretty good optics and
are small & easy to use. We have 2 Optura 20s and have had no problems
so far. Video quality seems good, though I'm no expert.

In both cases, a decent range of mics are available from various
manufacturers and vendors, if the built-in mic is inadequate for your
purposes.

One note: 60 min mini-DV tapes usually cost $6-7 each retail. This is
really outrageous, and a burden for research projects with limited
budgets. I've been buying from certain merchants on-line using eBay and
PayPal (for secure transactions) and paying about $3.50 per tape in
bulk. Still pricier than VHS, but no comparison in quality,
flexibility, etc.

Issues of storing & backing up digital video, and processing & coding
in different platforms, are more significant than which camera to buy.
If anyone has questions about these issues, feel free to contact me
directly (though we are still ironing out some procedures, so no
guarantees I'll be able to answer anything!).

> Dear Edy,
>
> I'll just add a second to your report.
>
> We bought a Sony digital 8 camcorder  2 years ago.
> It was less expensive and our needs are fairly limited.
> There have been 2 problems...

Gedeon O. Deák, Ph.D.
Department of Cognitive Science
9500 Gilman Dr.								(858) 822-3352
University of California, San Diego				fax    (858) 534-1128
La Jolla, CA 92093-0515				   http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~deak/