What is "normal" in bilingual children?

Darinka Andjelkovic dandjelk at f.bg.ac.yu
Wed Oct 1 15:07:05 UTC 2003

Hello Marita and Infochildes,

I followed very interesting and useful replies on your question. I guess all of us, psychologists or linguists, were asked same or similar question at least once.

I just want to support Lynne Hewitt's suggestion to take into consideration whole development of child. As far as I know (and since I am not a speech pathologist I would appreciate very much to be corrected if I am wrong) none of language disorders grow independent from other aspects of development (except for very rare local neuro disorders, and even then...). Language impairment is often just a symptom of more basic or general developmental difficulties: cognitive, communicative, social, emotional, sensory... In a direct contact with a family it might become obvious, for example, that affective exchange in family can be very reduced or rare, and language delay would be just an aspect of communication lack generally. Communication development is not merely language acquisition. Language acquisition needs communication development as its basis. And communication develops in overall sensory, emotional and intellectual interaction.

And moreover, delay in language acquisition might not be developmental nor impairment at all, but just a particular consequence of circumstances the child lives in. If a child has difficulties acquiring dominant language of community and not acquiring mother tongue at home, and there are no other indications of delay in any other aspect of development, then it is probably just a lack of exposure to the target language. Colleagues already discussed this...

So, before focusing on lexicon, morphology and syntax, it is wise to meet the child and family, and acquaint with the whole situation. And it does not necessarily mean implementation of an exhaustive battery of developmental diagnostic instruments at first meeting. Talk with parents, playing with the child, or observing the child in a group of peers can give many valuable insights. Also, a friendly approach by a professional speaking target language (in family maybe neglected) could be developmentaly promotive and inhensive for the child and for the family too.

Warm regards,

Darinka Andjelkovic
dandjelk at f.bg.ac.yu
Laboratory for Experimental Psychology