colour

Professor Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 10:53:36 UTC 2003

It is often claimed that very young infants do not see the colour
/blue/.  I am trying to understand whether that means they do not
distinguish blue from other colours like green, yellow, or whether
the claim is stronger and that a blue object on a white background is
not seen at all except a blurred form by, say, the 1 month old,
whereas a black or red object on a white background is??
Any quick info putting me right on this would be most appreciated.
thanks in anticipation
Annette

Professor A.Karmiloff-Smith, FBA, FMedSci, MAE, C.Psychol.
Head, Neurocognitive Development Unit,
Institute of Child Health,
30 Guilford Street,
London WC1N 1EH, U.K.