grammaticality judgments

James Russell jr111 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 16 14:35:03 UTC 2004

Hello,

By this question I'm sure to betray much ignorance. . . but can
anybody offer advice on trying to evoke grammatically judgements from
pre-school children. For example, a puppet 'speaks' a sentence (e.g.,
'The apple in on the table' or *The apple on is the table') and the
child must judge if what the puppet  said was "silly" or "OK".  I do
recall the silly/OK procedure being used by somebody. . .
I know of Stephen Crain's use of a truth-value judgment procedure in
a similar way; but I (quixotically?) want to evoke judgments of
well-formedness.

James Russell
Experimental Psychology
Cambridge, UK