Child-directed speech across languages/cultures

Cynthia W Core ccore at fau.edu
Fri Feb 6 20:16:16 UTC 2004

Hello all -

I was asked today about specific cultural influences on child-directed
speech and influence of child-directed speech on literacy acquisition.

The questions I have are

1.         "What are differences across cultures in terms of the amount of
linguistic input that children receive?"  I phrase it this way to allow for
the possibility that although some children are receiving less
child-directed speech, they may be getting input from the environment.

2.         "What (besides mother's ed level) influences how much a mother in
the United States speaks to her child?  Is SES more important than cultural
background or vice versa?"

I would like to compile a list of resources on this topic, and though I have
been able to find some references on-line, I'm sure this group will provide
the best resources.

Most recently, I have seen Johnston, J. and Wong, M-Y., A. (2002)  Cultural
Differences in Beliefs and Practices Concerning Talk to Children.  Journal
of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 916-926.

I appreciate the input, and I will compile and post a list of references
provided.

Thank you.

Cynthia Core, PhD

Assistant Professor

Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders

Florida Atlantic University

777 Glades Road

PO Box 3091

Boca Raton, FL 33431