Word order in two-word child utterances

Eva Berglund eva.m.berglund at home.se
Tue Feb 10 15:41:14 UTC 2004

Greetings,

We are interested in the question of how or if the normal word order of
a language affects the word order expressed in the earliest two word
utterences children produce. The data we work with is from Swedish,
which has the normal pattern of SVO, and we would like to look at
comparable data from languages with other standard patterns. We have
tentatively identified CHILDES data from Turkish, Farsi, Hungarian,
Irish, Hebrew, Tamil, and Japanese for comparison.

However, we suspect that we're not the first to think of this, and
would like to hear from or of anyone who has looked at this question
before, or anyone with advice on the best methodology to follow in
approaching the question.

Thanks in advance if anyone can be of help.

Eva Berglund,
Richard Fannon