more thoughts on MLU

Yonata Levy msyonata at mscc.huji.ac.il
Fri Feb 20 07:18:25 UTC 2004

Hi,
I too find MLU an interesting theoretical question however, there is the
practical problem too - until we figure out what MLU really is, what it
should correlate with, how it connects to variability in adult speech and to
language typology - all of which are fascinating issues! - we need a way to
calculate MLU in the morphologically rich languages that are currently under
study, that will enable comparability. I believe this is doable and it is
something that we need to provide our community with.
Yonata.

Prof. Yonata Levy
Psychology Department
The Hebrew University
Jerusalem, Israel 91905

Phone: 972-2-5883408 (o)      Fax:    972-2-5881159
            972-2-6424957 (h)      e-mail: msyonata at mscc.huji.ac.il