ref on blind children's lang dev

Sheri Wells Jensen swellsj at bgnet.bgsu.edu
Fri Feb 20 13:47:43 UTC 2004

Hi, Asa and All,

I used to have a whole bibliography on blind children and language, but I
seem to have lost most of it.  Here are the refs I have left.  I'm not sure
if these were the ones I saved because they are great or just what remained
after the rest disappeared.  In any case, I'll be interested in what other
folks contribute.

A note of caution:
Not  everyone is careful about categorizing disabled kids exactly.  so you
might find children with multiple disabilities who are also blind counted
as blind and their data used to represent cognitively average blind
children.  I've seen lots of wild variation in articles and books on this
topic.  Some report that blind children are necessarily way behind the
developmental curve, working partly, I have to imagine, from their own idea
that blindness is such a severe handicap that it simply has to impact
everything.  .
Others take an odd approach to what seem to me to be very normal data.  For
example, I read one article where much was made of the fact that a
particular blind child, when told to 'look' at something, reached out her
hands.  This was used as evidence that blind children have great difficulty
acquiring very basic meaning distinctions that are easy for sighted children.

Sheri W-J

Mulford r. 1988. First words of the blind  child.  in m d Smith & j l locke
eds. The imergent lexicon. Academic Press.

Fraiberg, S. 1979.  Blind infants and their Mothers
in M Bullowa.  Before Speech: The beginning of interpersonal communication.
Cambridge u press.

Freedman, D G.  1964. Smiling in blind infants and the  issue of innate vs.
acquired. journal of child psychology and  psychiatry #5 p171-184

Werth, Paul. 1982.
The Acquisition of Meaning by Blind Children: A Discussion
Universite Libre de Bruxelles Rapport d'Activites de l'Institut de Phonetique,
17, Mar, 55-67
At 12:33 PM 2/20/04 +0000, Ann Dowker wrote:
>Here are a few:
>
>Norgate, S., Collis, G. and Lewis, V. (1998). The developmental role
>of rhymes and routines for congenitally blind children. Cahiers de
>Psychologie Cognitive/ Current Psychology of Cognition, 17, 441-457
>
>Perez-Pereira, M. (1994). Imitations, repetitions, routines and the
>child's analysis of language: insights from the blind. Journal of
>Child Language, 21, 317-337
>
>Perez-Pereira, M. (1999). Deixis, reference and the use of personal
>pronouns by blind children. Journal of Child Language, 26, 655-680
>
>Perez-Pereira, M. and Castro, J. (1997). Language acquisition and the
>compensation of visual deficit: new data on a controversial topic.
>British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 13, 439-459
>
>Perfect, M.P. (2001). Examining communicative behaviours in a 3-year-old
>boy who is blind. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, 6,
>353-365
>
>I hope these are useful,
>
>Ann
>
>In message <a06010203bc563f254557@[130.234.79.194]> Asa Nordqvist
><asanord at ling.gu.se> writes:
> > Dear colleagues,
> > I am searching for references on blind children's early language and
> > conceptual development, can anyone help me?
> > Thanks on beforehand
> > Asa N
> >
> > --
> > Asa Nordqvist, PhD
> > Department of Languages / Finnish
> > P.O. Box 35 (F)
> > FIN-40014 University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
> >
> >     tel. +358-14-260-1438
> >     fax: +358-14-260-1431
> >     e-mail: snordqv at cc.jyu.fi, asanord at ling.gu.se
> >

> > Also affiliated at:
> > Dept of Linguistics, Goteborg University
> > Box 200
> > SE-405 30  Goteborg, Sweden

Dr. Sheri Wells-Jensen
Bowling Green State University