Bilingual Child's NP construction?

Jeff MacSwan macswan at asu.edu
Mon Jan 5 07:55:19 UTC 2004

Dear Joko,

Why not analyze this as simple codeswitching? In the phrase "house opung,"
if "house" were replaced with the Indonesian word for house, would the phrase
be well-formed? The impression from the "buku ayah" example is that it would
be. Please let me know if this is incorrect. But if it's correct, then I don't
see a reason why we can't analyze this as an Indonesian possessive
construction with an English N mixed in -- codeswitching, or as some would
prefer, codemixing. If that's the case, then it's not a developmental stage at
all. It's just a (very young) bilingual person making reference to something
bilingually.

Jeff