Bilingual Child's NP construction?

Joko K. Damanhuri joko.k at polmed.ac.id
Mon Jan 5 07:00:20 UTC 2004

Dear all,

Happy New Year!!
I've been observing my child's bilingual acquisition (Indonesian - English)
in Non-native parents bilingual program (bilingualism type by Romaine 1995).

I found that my child (3;5 now) still produces Noun + Possessor in English
like "house opung" (opung means granpa), though the frequency is much lesser
than before.

I really like to know whether the acquisition of English as first language
goes through a stage in which a child produces that NP construction, such as
"book daddy" for "daddy's book". Meanwhile, in Indonesian the correct form
for that construction is on the contrary to the English.
    buku ayah
    book daddy
    'daddy's book'

If we assume that the two languages are the competing languages the child is
trying to acquire, can we try to think about this construntion in terms of
typological universal? Let's say that it is easier to acquire N+Possessor
than Possessor+N. There are two reasons for this; first my child does this
correctly in Indonesia since his early acquisition but not in English; and
secondly, Noun as the head of the construction might attract child at hand.

Thank you all for your sharing.

Cheers,
Joko Kusmanto