AAVE and children

Pam Norton pcnorton at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 06:07:11 UTC 2004

Hi -
I'm preparing to do research on African American children who speak AAVE and assessment practices/dialectal differences awareness in speech/language pathologists.  I'm hoping someone can direct me to good sources on best practices in language (disorders) assessment for African American children, especially those who speak AAVE.  Also, any sources on linguistic bias in language assessment and/or incidence of language disorders in African American children.

Thanks much,

Pam Norton
UCB/SFSU Jt. Doctoral Program in Special Ed