dialect vairation

Margaret M. Fleck fleck at hpl.hp.com
Thu Jan 8 17:09:25 UTC 2004

While we're on the topic of dialect variation, can anyone point me at
research on regional/ethnic/seasonal/individual variation in what words
toddlers produce and how this affects the accuracy of assessing vocabulary
size using parental checkoff lists of only modest length?  I'm thinking
particularly of words for foods, since eating habits vary quite a lot
even within households that speak SAE.  I'm particularly curious about
any studies that might have tried to correlate words produced with
objects found/used/eaten/etc recently in the child's household.

Margaret Fleck
Hewlett-Packard Labs, Palo Alto