FW: AAVE and children

Jeff MacSwan macswan at asu.edu
Thu Jan 8 19:31:04 UTC 2004

One of the many things which makes the assessment of linguistic minorities in
schools complex is the issue of "appropriate context" of assessment. Context
has an effect on the specific form which a language takes, so it is often
presumed that "school language" should be the object of assessment. I think
that's true if one wishes to measure, for instance, growth in English acquired
in a school setting among immigrant children in the U.S. But it actually
becomes a serious source of error in measurement when one wishes to assess a
child's native language. There, the assessment must be conducted in a way that
determines whether the child has acquired the language of his or her specific
speech community, whatever that is. A child's native speech community might
speak "school English," but most often they don't -- as is generally true of
the Spanish spoken by bilingual children in U.S. schools and of AAVE.

A related problem is that school language is often assumed by assessments to
represent a "more advanced" stage of language growth. Here we see traditional
prescriptivist values creeping in, as the language of the educated classes is
taken to be an enriched or advanced version of the language of the unschooled.

If you're interested in reading more about these ideas and their consequences
for language assessment of linguistic minorities at school, see:

MacSwan, J. (2000). The Threshold Hypothesis, semilingualism, and other
contributions to a deficit view of linguistic minorities. Hispanic Journal of
Behavioral Sciences, 22(1), 3-45. Available at
http://www.public.asu.edu/~macswan/hjbs2000.pdf.

MacSwan, J., Rolstad, K., & Glass, G. V. (2002). Do some school-age children
have no language? Some problems of construct validity in the Pre-LAS Español.
Bilingual Research Journal, 26(2), 213-238. Available at
http://brj.asu.edu/content/vol26_no2/pdf/ART11.PDF.

MacSwan, J., & Rolstad, K. (2003). Linguistic diversity, schooling, and social
class: Rethinking our conception of language proficiency in language minority
education, pp. 329-340. In C. B. Paulston & R. Tucker (Eds.),
Sociolinguistics: The Essential Readings. Oxford: Blackwell.

Best,
Jeff