Language Strategies for Bilingual Families

Kathryn King kathryn at multilingual-matters.com
Wed Jun 9 08:21:13 UTC 2004

Dear Nitya and all
As the publisher of the book, may I be permitted to advise that the book
does include 2 chapters on other strategies for language use within the
family and concludes with suggestions of how the OPOL can be adapted for
use in the 21st century.
We also publish "A Parents' & Teachers guide to bilingualism" by Colin
Baker which includes a discussion of other strategies besides OPOL.
Further details on both books can be found on our website
www.multilingual-matters.com where they can both be ordered at 20%
discount (sorry for the plug!).
Hope this helps.
Kathryn King
Marketing Manager

In message <001301c44d6c$df523550$adc14f81 at ads.iu.edu>, Nitya Sethuraman
<nsethura at indiana.edu> writes
>Hello,
>
>I was interested in the recent book announcement posted to the list on
>language strategies used by bilingual families.  The book focuses on the
>one-person, one-language strategy.  This strategy seems to be the one most
>discussed in the literature, and I was wondering whether there was some
>guided reason for this (there is a consensus that this is the "best"
>strategy) or if it was for some other reason (it's the easiest strategy to
>study, most traditionally studied, etc.)?
>
>If you know of good articles and books, academic or more general, that
>compare various strategies parents use for raising their children
>bilingually, please email me or the list, and I will post a summary.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nitya Sethuraman
>Postdoctoral Researcher
>Psychology
>Indiana University

Kathryn King
Marketing Manager
Multilingual Matters/Channel View Publications
Frankfurt Lodge, Clevedon Hall
Victoria Road
Clevedon, England BS21 7HH

Tel +44 (0) 1275 876519