Word count

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue May 18 02:42:44 UTC 2004

Dear Anne,
  I see no evidence on the archives (at LinguistList) that your message ever
got posted, at least not during May.  I am guessing that readers might be a
bit hesitant to nominate themselves as "authorities", particularly given the
underscoring of principled.  The best shot that I ever took at unearthing
principles for judging something to be a word in child language or anywhere
else was in a chapter back in 1982 called "Basic Syntactic Processes" in a
volume edited by Stan Kuczaj.  The core idea here involved distinguishing
rote, analogy, and combination as word and construction formation processes.
A more readable and articulate version of this position can be found in Ann
Peter's 1983 book on "The units of language acquisition".  In one way or
another, there are probably about 200 articles dealing with the issue of
trying to distinguish rote from combination.  There are probably another
couple of hundred papers trying to formalize these ideas into methods for
computing mean length of utterance and related measures.
  Regarding negative contractions, such as don't, I think most people would
view these as monomorphemic initially and perhaps forever.  In some of the
most frequent cases, the phonology alone is an indicator that they are not
simple combinations of auxiliary and negative.
  Why do you ask?  How can knowing this be of any forensic importance?

--Brian MacWhinney, CMU