Acoustic/phonological saliency

Ray Weitzman raymondw at csufresno.edu
Fri May 21 15:11:17 UTC 2004

Hi Katie,

'Saliency' is a term that is used in speech perception to refer to the
relative control a particular acoustic parameter (duration, intensity,
formant frequency, pitch, etc.) has in discriminating one phoneme from
another, one syllable from another, one word from another, one phrase from
another, or even one sentence from another.  Comparisions of different
acoustic parameters as cues to in speech perception are referred to as the
relative perceptual salience of the parameters or more technically as
auditory cue weighting.  As far as I know it has nothing to do with why a
child might show a particular preference for particular words or sounds,
much "explain" those preferences.

Ray Weitzman