Acoustic/phonological saliency

Marilyn Vihman m.vihman at bangor.ac.uk
Sat May 22 13:41:38 UTC 2004

>I have a question about this concept which seems to be bandied about
>a lot in the language acquisition literature.  While there do seem
>to be some empirical studies, for example of the amplitude of
>particular phonemes compared to other phonemes, it also seems to be
>a concept that many assume in studies - for example, assuming that
>initial syllables or phonemes, or final ones, or stressed ones, will
>be more salient to children learning language.  I am using this
>concept in the field of literacy (spelling, in particular) and
>although I can find many papers in spoken language acquisition which
>draw on the concept of saliency to explain children's preferences
>for particular words/sounds, I can't seem to find any discussion of
>the concept per se, or measurements, either acoustic or behavioural,
>of some aspects of salience.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas - is this lost in the mists of time, or
>something that linguists take in with their mothers' milk and I
>missed out in my neuroscience education? Or am I confusing two
>different concepts?

For some experimental study relevant to the salience of word-initial
C to infants acquiring either English or French (age 11 mos.) - given
the contrasting accentual patterrns of the adult lgs., see Vihman,
Nakai, DePaolis & Hallé, JMem&Lg 2004.

-marilyn

   Marilyn M. Vihman		       |
   Professor, Developmental Psychology  |      /\
   School of Psychology                 |     /  \/\
   University of Wales, Bangor          |  /\/    \ \
   The Brigantia Building	       | /        \ \
   Penrallt Road	          	       |/   =======\=\
   Gwynedd LL57 2AS              	       |
   tel. 44 (0)1248 383 775	       | B A N G O R
   FAX             382 599              |