phonological saliency

Hua Zhu Hua.Zhu at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue May 25 10:55:11 UTC 2004

Alcock is right in saying that the notion of acoustic/phonological
saliency, though alluded to frequently in
the literature, lacks clear, testable definition.

In my work on the acquisition of Chinese phonology, I define
Phonological Saliency as a syllable-based, language-specific concept.
The saliency value of a particular phonological feature is determined
primarily by its role within the phonological systme of the language. It
could be affected by a combination of factors, e.g the status of a
component in the syllable structure, especially whether it is compulsory
or optional; the capacity of a component in differentiating lexical
meaning of a syllable; the number of permissible choices within a
component in the syllable structure.

For further information, see:
Zhu Hua & Barbara Dodd (2000).The phonological acquisition of Putonghua
(Modern Standard Chinese). Journal of Child
Language, 27 (1), 3-42.
Zhu Hua (2002). Phonological development in specific contexts:studies of
Chinese-speaking children. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.

Currently I'm working on evaluating the above definition using
cross-linguistic data:
Zhu Hua & Barbara Dodd (Eds.). (Planned publication date: Dec. 2004).
Phonological development and disorders: A cross-linguistic
perspective.Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.

I will appreciate your views on the role/definition of phonological
saliency, especially with regard to acquisition.

Zhu Hua, PhD
Lecturer in Language & Communication
School of Education, Communication & Language Sciences University of
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK