phonological saliency

Ray Weitzman raymondw at csufresno.edu
Tue May 25 20:18:23 UTC 2004

In case you missed it, this is the text of the message I sent to Katie and
Info-Childes in reply to her message:

>'Saliency' is a term that is used in speech perception to refer to the
>relative control a particular acoustic parameter (duration, intensity,
>formant frequency, pitch, etc.) has in discriminating one phoneme from
>another, one syllable from another, one word from another, one phrase from
>another, or even one sentence from another.  Comparisions of different
>acoustic parameters as cues to in speech perception are referred to as the
>relative perceptual salience of the parameters or more technically as
>auditory cue weighting.  As far as I know it has nothing to do with why a
>child might show a particular preference for particular words or sounds,
>much "explain" those preferences.

By "phonological saliency" I take it you mean the relative control a
particular acoustic property has in distinguishing one phonological unit,
like the syllable or phoneme, from another phonological unit.  If so, then
I'm not sure what you mean by "[t]he saliency value of a particular
phonological feature".  Phonological features are generally highly abstract
and are manifested in various ways acoustically.  It is difficult to imagine
how one might measure the saliency of one phonological feature with another
phonological feature.  In the case of acoustic properties, experimental
conditions can be created for comparing the relative influence of two or
more them.  Any acoustic property may have some control of distinguishing,
for example, one syllable from another.  It will all depend upon the degree
of difference.  For some, a relative small change may lead to a change in
perception; for others, a relatively large change has to occur for
perception to change.  Perhaps this might be the basis for measuring degree
of saliency, but keep in mind that saliency of one acoustic property may
also depend on the values of other acoustic properties, as well as
individual and group (i.e., dialect.) differences of language-specific
listeners.  Thus, determining measures of saliency can be quite complex.

The studies that I am familiar with all seem to indicate that saliency of
acoustic features change over the time course of acquisition.  At least some
differences in acoustic features seem to become less salient as children
start to learn to discriminate utterances in their native language.  This,
of course, doesn't mean that children lose the ability to make these
discriminations, for with the appropriate learning protocol, they can
"re-learn" these distinctions again, if not for their native language,
perhaps for use in another language.  Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised
if saliency also changes over the life-span of the individual, although I
haven't heard of any studies that examine this possibility.

Ray Weitzman