L2 influences

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 18:29:18 UTC 2004

There has been some very interesting work on sign language development
in children whose parents had acquired language after the 'sensitive
period' and were providing a reduced and inconsistent model. Even
in this rather extreme situation, children have improved on the model
and developed 'normal' sign language.

See:

L. Gleitman and E.L. Newport: The invention of langauge by children:
environmental and biological influences. In Daniel Levitin (ed.)
Foundations of Cognitive Psychology: Core Readings. Cambridge, MA:
MIT Press (pp. 685-704)

Singleton, J.L. and Newport, E.L. (2004). When learners surpass their
models: the acquisiton of American Sign Language from inconsistent
input. Cognitive Psychology, 49, 370-407

Best wishes,

Ann