L2 influences

quay at icu.ac.jp quay at icu.ac.jp
Mon Oct 18 19:23:24 UTC 2004

Dear Shelley,

I have a paper that is coming out soon that addresses your concerns to a
certain extent:

Quay, S. (2004). ?Caregiver input and language development?. In Gordon Fulto
n, William J. Sullivan & Arle R. Lommel (eds.), LACUS forum XXX: Language, T
hought and Reality. Houston, Linguistic Association of Canada and the U.S.,
pp. 227-234.

My paper examined the effects of the discourse of non-native versus native c
aregivers on a three-year-old child?s acquisition and use of German. The int
eractions between the child and his German-speaking interlocutors ? a non-na
tive Chinese babysitter who was just learning how to speak in German and a n
ative German babysitter ? were evaluated in terms of discourse structure and
 syntactic constructions. The child?s utterances were also compared to the u
tterances of his monolingual daycare peers. It was concluded that the impact
 of the speech of non-native caregivers are not of immense linguistic signif
icance as long as children are also exposed to native speakers in their envi
ronment. In my studies of trilingual children, I have also found, as Fred de
scribes, that the peer model is stronger than parental models when trilingua
l children speak mainly the language of their peers rather than their home l
anguages.

Best wishes,

Suzanne